Friday, October 8, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie, Week 2

Again, a challenge this week to stretch my kitchen skills.  Does Dorie know that I am terrified of any recipe that involves a crust?  I love baking, but will avoid a pie or tart recipe like the plague.  Week two of French Fridays with Dorie, I present you with a successful tart dough attempt & a definite keeper of a recipe:  Gérard’s Mustard Tart.   This recipe comes from Dorie's friend, Gérard.  I am sure you would agree that some of the best recipes are shared by friends.   

I split up the preparation of this recipe over two days to give the tart dough ample attention.  With a pile of sand like flour turned out of the food processor, I seriously thought I had a disastrous situation on my hands.  Not willing to give up too easily, I kept going with the process & it all came together into a triumphant disk of dough!


Since our tomato plants are still producing despite the chilly weather the end of September delivered, I decided to add tomatoes into the mix with the carrots & leeks.  In addition to the lovely tomatoes, earlier this summer we had a gorgeous crop of sunflowers.


Feeling a sense of relief to have the base of the tart completed, I whisked together the eggs, crème fraîche, classic Dijon mustard, coarse ground Dijon mustard, fleur de sel, and ground white pepper.  The egg mixture was topped with steamed slender sticks of carrots & leeks on one half, tomato slices on the other & a rosemary sprig in the middle.  Into the oven it went & our house slowly filled with the best mustard scent ever. 


What a way to spend a Friday! 

Next up:  Spicy Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup.  Looking forward to the soup, but hoping that soup weather stays away!


1 comment: