Saturday, November 13, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie, Week 7: Pommes Dauphinois

Another lovely evening with Dorie Greenspan and her cookbook, Around My Kitchen Table!  Week seven of French Fridays with Dorie has resulted in something that smelled & tasted incredibly divine:  Pommes Dauphinois or Potato Gratin.  Amazing recipe!  

Dorie gives some great garlic advice in the cookbook: split the clove and remove the germ to tone down the bitterness.  If you find yourself with fresh, Spring garlic, this step would be unnecessary.  Look for the slender teardrop shaped piece and use the tip of a paring knife to scoop out the germ.  The same could be done with onions or shallots, especially if using raw in salads.  



The gratin begins with simmering garlic and heavy cream.  Really, the most delightful smell.  I decided to veer a little off the main recipe and layer sweet potatoes with the russets into 3 1/2 inch ramekins instead of a 2 quart baking pan.  Each potato layer was draped with the garlic cream, salt and pepper.  


Grated Gruyere cheese and rosemary topped the potatoes and baked at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes until a knife easily reached the bottom of the ramekin.  The original recipe halved nicely and was plenty to fill four ramekins.

 


Translation: Potato Gratin

Pronunciation:
Pommes Dauphinois

A few recipes that I have had my eye on...
Scalloped Yukon Gold and Sweet Potato Gratin from Epicurious
Provencal Tomato Potato Gratin from Epicurious


A tad bit lighter...
Potato Gratin from Eating Well
Wild Mushrom and Sweet Potato Gratin from Cooking Light


As requested by Dorie, the recipes from Around My French Table are not republished online.

There is a birthday celebration looming and I think some of the Dorie Greenspan recipes will make an appearance.  The Caramel-Peanut Topped Brownie Cake from Baking From My Home to Yours is at the top of my list.  I think it will satisfy the guest of honor's chocolate & caramel cake request!  Any suggestions? More to come on this subject...

5 comments:

  1. I love that you used sweet potatoes! Such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey Thanks for stopping by:) Your post is great. So informative and well put together. I love all the tips and other recipes to contimplate. I can tell your a dietitian. Your gratin looks delish and I love that you did some substituting. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I keep forgetting that tip about the garlic...hopefully I'll remember when I make my potatoes next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...sweet Potatoes is a great idea! I so would have been tempted to layer mine with brown sugar and walnuts too! I made the PG this week too and loved it..what's not to love..right!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph, Beth, Steph & Flourchild, thanks for visiting & the lovely comments. Delicious dish, I agree & reheated quite well, too.

    ReplyDelete