Saturday, November 27, 2010

French Fridays with Dorie, Week 9: Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake

My task list Wednesday evening included three desserts in just about as many hours.  The week had been busy and already included several visits to the grocery.  All, I might add, without full consultation of my pantry and shopping lists left elsewhere.  A dangerous combination, yes.

When I finally settled in to prepare this week's FFwD selection, Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake, I realized that I was missing several key ingredients:  Cream of Wheat or Farina, whole milk, and golden raisins. 

I was debating...do I go out in the lovely rain/sleet mix on the eve of Thanksgiving or stay tucked in at home and attempt to make this with a few modifications?  Challenge accepted and this is the route I chose:  cornmeal, half and half, skim milk and red wine plumped raisins in place of the missing ingredients.

The cornmeal, milk, and salt bubbled nicely and after the addition of the eggs and vanilla it was looking like a great modification.  


The sugar, water, and squeeze of lemon juice boiled into a deep amber caramel.


The caramel glazed the bottom of the cake pan and was topped with the cornmeal batter.  All looking great so far!


Out of the oven and filled the kitchen with a great aroma and then....




Unfortunately, the caramel topped pudding cake plopped out of the pan and into a mess.  But the cake easily turned into a delicious pudding treat, just served in a bowl. 

Translation: Carmel garni de gâteau à la semoule
Listen to the pronunciation

I am looking forward to what French Fridays Saturdays with Dorie has in store for December. 

5 comments:

  1. It looks like it tastes yummy evenif the caramel was a mess. I made this one too and found that the caramel was more like a glaze. I think it stuck in the pan and I needed to cook it longer! I loved the taste though! Im glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy with cornmeal instead of CoW! Glad it tasted good. Don't blame you for not going out again...I hate multiple trips to the grocery store...especially the night before Turkey Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, being the cook often means that we improvise...and that's good...sometimes that's how we get such great new recipes...from little mistakes or substitutions. Maybe this one did not work, but some future one will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting your variation! I was thinking about making a version with cornmeal instead of farina, so that my partner (who can't have gluten) could eat it, too. Glad to hear it was tasty, even if it didn't hold together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. It is fun to try new recipes & I look forward to repeating this one with the intended ingredients! Do give it a try with cormeal!

    ReplyDelete